|1945, Sunday 11 a.m., 20 May. Herman Kjellberg's home.
Herman's wife and three sons perished. The fire started in the garage below the upstairs living area. Herman yelled for his wife to get the children out. For some reason she was not able to do so. Only one child, a five year old daughter
survived as a ladder was put to the window and she was removed to safety.
Herman also survived and lived until 1965. This building was located across
the street from where the Lion's Club storage building is now. The daughter,
Kathleen (Bob) Karklin now lives in Cook.
1959, 08 January. Walter Miller's Food Liner Grocery store
was destroyed. The fire started in the basement of this six year old cement block building. This
building is now
the Gustafson Ford Agency.
1977, 10 May. Johnson's One Stop. This was a large marina
business owned by Marshall & Roy Johnson.
The fire started in the office/showroom and burned very fast. This site
is now the Country Store owned by Tom Musech and the Vermilion Motel owned by John &
1977, 12 May. Idington Town Hall. This old town hall located
8.9 miles south of Cook on Hwy 53 at the intersection with the Hannula
Road was torched. The building was used for community meetings, etc.
1978, 08 May. BIC building. A real estate business owned by
Lloyd Beurline.The building was rebuilt with-out the second story,
it was constructed in 1940 as the Mecca Inn.
1979, 20 January. Ardin's Hotel / Denny's Cafe. Dennis
Duame owned this historic hotel and newer cafe addition. The fire started
in the upstairs of the rear stairway of the hotel. The alarm was turned in at 6 a.m.
In those days a fire was reported by phone to the hospital and they sounded
the alarm by holding the button down for seven seconds, off for another
seven and repeated it until a firefighter picked up the phone in the Fire
Hall. A problem this time, the alarm wire to activate the siren to the hospital burned off being the siren sat atop this building. The
Department had just received pagers but an emergency kept the nurses at
the hospital from activating them. Someone
ran to the fire hall to push
the button manually
1980, 27 January. A mobile home fire on the old Joe Aune
property at the intersection of Hwy 1 & 73 took the lives of
Howard Lindsay born in 1903 and Shirley Wells born in 1921. The
fire started in the add-on entry where a wood burning stove must have overheated.
The back door was blocked by hay bales which outlined the entire trailer.
1980, 09 February. The historic Musakka log house was totally
destroyed by an arsonist. This four room log structure was considered one
of the best examples of Finish architecture in
Northern Minnesota. It was
built in 1912 of hand-hewn logs. It was located 10 miles south of
on Highway 53.
1980, 24 February. Cook High School. Fire started in the
stage area of the new gym. Mostly
smoke damage but the firefighters had
a problem finding the source of the fire as the smoke was
so thick. The
alarm was turned in at 1 p.m. this Sunday afternoon.
September. Vos Resort lodge, a fire completely destroyed this large
75-year old landmark located on the west
end of Lake Vermilion.
Cook firefighters came quickly but were
unable to save the lodge. The old
wooden structure burned rapidly as well as several trees and a
nearby. The owners were Don & Marcia Price. Several fire fighters stayed
on guard throughout the early morning and the two cabins on each side of
the lodge were spared.
1994, 04 October. Northern Farmers Co-op store. This vacant
store with the active Credit Union in the front area burned with-in four
hours.. The alarm was turned in 640 a.m. There was
no stopping this
one. The present Cook Area Credit Union is on this site.
2000, 22 January. Amundson Apartment Building / old Heiam Hospital.
This building was one of the oldest in
Cook. It dates back to about 1913-1914. It began life as a boarding
house. Goldie Mihm remembers
her sister living there in 1915. Doctor Heiam came to Cook in 1928, he soon established
the Cook General Hospital which operated until the new Cook Community
opened on the 26th of October 1959. It was then the office of Doctor Heiam Clinic. It was later
the office of Attorney Howard Seigel. It has
been an apartment complex now since about 1978. Joe & Valerie Amundson
had bought the building in 1990.
September, the Country Supper Club. This was an old building with many
additions. The original
building was constructed of standing logs. This place was built by Harry
Thomas in 1936.
There were a number of owners over the years. Gary Albertson was the
2003, 10 February, the Clark's IGA grocery store. An early morning fire on this cold day destroyed the 32 year old steel building. This was the last grocery store in the downtown area of Cook, there had been one downtown for almost 100 years.
Clark & Barb Brenna were the owners. There had been a grocery store at this location since about 1914 when August Buboltz opened a General Store. He sold to Bill Ongalo and Elmer Waataja in 1937. Elmer and Rick Waataja bought the business in 1942 and
they sold to Bob Ranta 1953. Ranta sold to John Musech in 1958. John had the new building constructed in 1970 and sold to Clark Brenna in 1983.
If you have a information to add, please write;